Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Love, love, love, love, love , love ME!

I'm sick and tired of listening to 1800-GET-THIN on TV, radio and on billboards accross the city. I understand that there are some people that need this type of surgery to survive. I don't believe/agree in how they go about advertising it. Because I don't know much about it, I won't go much into it. I'd rather research my post and hold strong. I'm just annoyed with their slogans.

I found this online from the LA Time:

In the right hands the lap-band, also known as a gastric band, is an effective obesity treatment. A silicon ring that constricts the upper part of the stomach, it works by making patients feel full after only a small meal, so they'll stop eating. One study says patients can take off 50 to 70 pounds over two years.

But medical guidelines endorsed by the 
National Institutes of Health say the prime candidates for the lap-band are morbidly obese patients, defined as those with a body mass index -- a comparison of weight and height -- of 40 and above. (A 5-foot-10 person would register a 40 BMI at 279 pounds, or about 100 pounds overweight.) Patients with a BMI of 35 (244 pounds for our 5-10 subject) would be candidates if they also had weight-related conditions such as diabetes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow on Twitter! I came over to visit. That, and steal your Mickey Mouse ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you. I just started blogging. Nothing too exciting. Like my ears? I wore them all day for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete